Bal Raksha Bharat’s flagship programme ‘Stop Diarrhoea Initiative’ has successfully completed its implementation across India. To share the 4 years of experiences, implementation processes, key interventions and learnings, a National level dissemination was organized in New Delhi last month. The workshop was well attended with participation from key officials from Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, officials from State Governments, Development Sector partners and implementing partners of the SDI project. The project has successfully resulted in 62 percent reduction in diarrhoeal prevalence in project intervention areas against 41 percent in the control areas.
Key learnings from SDI are:
High impact, low cost, easy to adapt and scale interventions of SDI program proposed for consideration in child health policy and programming especially for diarrhoea control program were:
- Inclusion of Co-package on ORS and Zinc in the Essential Medicine List (EML) of Country and States
- Inclusion of 14 Tablets Zinc strip in national guidelines for diarrhoea treatment and control
- Strengthening counseling on hand washing with soap, safe drinking water, hygiene and sanitation to integrated in service delivery of frontline health workers
- Involving communities in planning, implementation, monitoring of interventions
- Convergence and Coordination with departments for improving access to hygiene and sanitation behaviors